Monday, October 24, 2011

{Halloween} Candy Apple Phantom Cuties + Tutorial

Instead of the traditional candy apple this year, we decided to make something simple that still had the sweet factor. We had been seeing a new caramel "wrap" everywhere in stores and thought why not try fondant "wraps". It is surprising how yummy marshmallow fondant is wrapped around a Macintosh apple. The bitter mixed with the sweet is quite tasty. Not to mention how cute the apple is costumed as a ghost. :) What I loved  as a Mom...they were simple for the kids to make and no worrying about them getting hurt around hot caramel sauce. Read on for this simple tutorial.

Our cute little apple phantom.



What you will need:
  • Apples (We used macintosh)
  • Marshmallow or rolled fondant - Recipe from Wilton or store bought.
  • Marshmallows (large)
  • Edible Food writer - black (wilton)
  • Branches - cut to desired length 8-10 inch (for Candy sticks)
  • Fondant mat or non-stick sheet
  • Rolling pin
  • Sharp knife or pizza cutter


I like to create a smooth round ball with my fondant before rolling. I also prefer to use a non-stick pizza pie sheet as opposed to those fondant mats when doing small fondant jobs, as it eliminates the need for using sugar or oil so the fondant does not stick. Many people who are new to fondant get frustrated with fondant sticking :) If you prefer the mat go for it. Roll your fondant out into a thin circle shape with your pin.


I decided to use a small salad plate as a guide for the circle. Most times I cut with a pizza cutter, but today I used a sharp knife...both work great.

To make the shape for the ghost head, I placed a large marshmallow on top of the apple.


I then took my fondant circle and evenly draped the apple.


I shaped the fondant around the apple to resemble a ghost costume.


I cut off the excess fondant.


I pushed a branch through the top of the ghost for a handle. I then used a edible food writer to give our friend eyes ( to see who was about to eat him. lol ) :)


We think he looks pretty cute and tasty too! ;)



Ghostly twins. :) Yummy...waiting for their demise..then again they are already ghosts! ;)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. They are certainly delicious looking. Far better than the old traditional candy apples that are so hard and not too easy to bite into. For older folk with dentures these are much easier to bite into.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...